What is a Cookie?
Cookies are small text files, created by the website that a user is browsing, that contain data. They are processed and stored by a user`s web browser.
In and of themselves, cookies are harmless and allow a website to ensure crucial functions and services.
What types of Cookies do we use?
There are multiple types or categorization methods for cookies.
Cookies are divided by the length of how long they are stored.
- Session cookies – A session cookie is temporarily stored in the computer`s memory while the visitor is browsing the website. This cookie is erased when the user closes their web browser or after a certain time has passed (meaning that the session expires).
- Persistent cookies — This category encompasses all cookies that remain on your hard drive until you erase them or your browser does, depending on the cookie’s expiration date. All persistent cookies have an expiration date written into their code, but their duration can vary. According to the ePrivacy Directive, they should not last longer than 12 months, but in practice, they could remain on your device much longer if you do not take action.
We use both session and persistent cookies on our website.
Cookies are divided by their source of origin:
- First-party cookies — As the name implies, first-party cookies are put on your device directly by the website you are visiting.
- Third-party cookies — These are the cookies that are placed on your device, not by the website you are visiting, but by a third party like a payment gate-way or an analytics system.
We use both first and third-party cookies.
Cookies are divided by their purpose:
- Strictly necessary or essential cookies — These cookies are essential for you to be able to browse the website and use its features, such as using a payment-gateway or for us to ensure a secure browsing session. If you set your browser to block these cookies, then these and other functions and services will not function. While it is not required to obtain consent for these cookies, what they do, and why they are necessary should be explained to the user.
- Preference or functionality cookies — These cookies allow a website to recognize you and remember the choices you have made in the past, like what language you prefer, what region you would like weather reports for, or what your user name and password are so you can automatically log in. These cookies allow us to provide you with a more personalized experience.
- Statistics or performance cookies — These cookies collect information about how you use a website, like which pages you visited, and which links you clicked on. None of this information can be used to identify you. It is all aggregated and, therefore, anonymized. These cookies are used to gain a better sense of how users engage with a site, services, tool, and apps so that users have a better experience.
- Marketing or advertising cookies — These cookies track your online activity. For example, the content you have viewed, the links you have clicked on, and information about your browser and your IP address. These cookies help advertisers deliver more relevant advertising or to limit how many times you see an ad. These cookies can share that information with other organizations or advertisers. These are persistent cookies and almost always of third-party provenance.
We use this categorization to showcase the cookies that we use in our Privacy Center`s Privacy Settings.
Your rights surrounding Cookies?
- We need to receive your consent before we use any cookies except when strictly necessary cookies are in question.
- We need to provide information about the data each cookie tracks and its purpose.
- We need to document and store consent received from users.
- We need to allow you to access certain services even if you do not consent to the use of certain cookies.
- We need to make it as easy for you to withdraw your consent.
How we acquire your consent?
You can either accept the use of all cookies or decline all cookies on our website by pressing “I accept” or “I decline”.
How to fine-tune your Cookies?
If you want to acquire specific descriptions of the cookies we are using, you should either:
- Go to our website`s Privacy Center. From our Privacy Center, you can access our Privacy Settings that will open a bar with all the categories of cookies that we use, the name of the cookies, and descriptions of them. In the cookie bar, you will be able to pick and choose which cookies are used (except for the necessary cookies).
- You can access the same cookie bar by pressing on the icon found on the bottom right corner on your screen.
You can do 1) and 2) after accepting or declining all of the cookies. You can also use the same cookie bar to take back your consent.
Additionally, It is important to note that you can also reject cookies by changing your browser settings – see the “Help function” within your browser for further details.